Coast Banner

BCP Adult Learning Disability Service

The Adult Learning Disability Service is an integrated team of health and social care workers from the BCP Council and Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation Trust. 

We are able to offer support, advice and guidance on services available for adults over 18 with a diagnosed learning disability.   

Our services are based on giving a combination of care and practical support to help people with a learning disability lead full and independent lives.   

The team consists of social Care workers, learning disability community nurses, occupational therapists and physiotherapists. It also has close links with consultant psychiatrists, consultant psychologists and speech and language therapists. 

We work together to:    

  • provide care where necessary and give support to enable and encourage you to reach your full potential in all areas of your life
  • help your carers and others to assist in supporting you
  • give health advice to keep you healthy and to teach basic life skills to become more independent within the community
  • assist in finding a place to live with the right support in place and where you can feel safe and well
  • provide advice and assistance in contacting providers who can help with equipment to enable you to move safely in your own home.   

Links for local advocacy services you may find useful are : 

Family members, advocates and professional colleagues can refer to the team. Once accepted, you will be assessed in a person-centred way by a health or social care worker to identify your needs and goals and how they can be met. This could be in a variety of ways, for example:   

  • through existing community groups
  • friends or family
  • adult education
  • commissioned services and direct payments
  • support from health care staff in the team
  • or a combination of all of the above.  

Relevant links and useful information   

Health checks   

For information about what to expect at a health check, read:   

For more information, get in touch with our Adult Social Care Contact Centre.