Skip to content
Coast Banner

Help for adults who need support with sight and hearing or are deafblind

We have specialist skills and knowledge and can offer practical advice and support. The Sight and Hearing Services Team helps people who live in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole who have serious difficulties with their sight, hearing or both.  

The team consists of workers with specialist skills or knowledge who can provide information and advice on independent living skills. We use a strengths-based approach, meaning we look at your skills, abilities, priorities and what is available in your community to meet your needs.  

Our services include:  

  • practical advice on managing in your home 
  • mobility training to help you get about safely 
  • help with and advice on communication skills 
  • information about specialist equipment to help with day-to-day living 
  • registration of sight and/or hearing-impaired people or people who are deafblind, where appropriate, with us 
  • details of local and national voluntary agencies who also offer advice and support.  

Equipment to help you  

We will work with you to assess your eligible needs in accordance with the Care Act 2014.  

There’s a wide variety of equipment to help you maintain your independence. Some typical aids which may meet your needs are:

  • talking clocks and watches 
  • big button telephones 
  • electronic reading aids 
  • amplifying equipment for televisions and doorbells.  

Local charity Bournemouth Blind Society has a resource room, Rooper Hall, where you can try out equipment and aids to help you with day-to-day living. You do not need a referral or appointment to visit the resource room.  

Address: Rooper Hall, Bournemouth Blind Society, 5 Victoria Park Road, Moordown, Bournemouth BH9 2RB.  

Phone: 01202 546 644.  

Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 10am to 1pm.

Contact the sight and hearing services team  

Get in touch with us yourself or ask a relative, friend, GP, consultant or district nurse to contact us on your behalf through the Adult Social Care Contact Centre.

To contact us:  

Online self-assessment  

Other useful contacts  

The following organisations can also provide specialist support: