Code of governance
We are responsible for ensuring that our business is conducted in accordance with the law and proper standards.
We must also ensure that public money is safeguarded and properly accounted for, and that is also provides value for money. We have to effectively manage risks, and put in place proper arrangements for the governance of our affairs.
This governance framework is recorded in our Local Code of Governance. It is based on the seven principles of good governance:
- behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values, and respecting the rule of law
- ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement
- defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social, and environmental benefits
- determining the interventions necessary to optimise the achievement of the intended outcomes
- developing the entity’s capacity, including the capability of its leadership and the individuals within it
- managing risks and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management
- implementing good practices in transparency, reporting, and audit to deliver effective accountability.