We strive to prevent fraud and error entering in our services. We actively investigate any reported fraud against council and actively seek to recover any monies obtained fraudulently or fraudulently obtained property occupancy.

Housing Fraud

Housing fraud stops council housing going to the people who really need it. We will take legal action to evict illegal tenants and recover unlawfully occupied property. If you think someone is committing housing fraud, please let us know.

Types of Housing Fraud

  • Making a false statement to get a property
  • Staying in a property after the tenant has moved out
  • Staying in a property after the tenant has died (unless you have a right of succession to take over the tenancy)
  • Staying in property when a joint tenancy is ended by one of the tenants
  • When property is no longer the tenants main home
  • When the entire home is unlawfully sublet
  • When an unapproved mutual exchange of property has been made
  • When a tenant has unlawfully passed their tenancy on to someone else
  • When someone moves into an empty council property without permission (squatting)

If you think you have witnessed a housing fraud, please report it to us.

Council tax fraud

Council tax fraud is when a person deliberately gives incorrect or misleading information in order to pay less or no council tax.

Council tax fraud could be when a person claims to live in a single-person household when more than one person lives there.

Some might claim to be a student when they are not.

Blue Badge Fraud

Please let us know if someone is using a blue badge fraudulently.

Maybe an altered or forged blue badge, one that was not issued to them or is seen using an expired badge.

Grant fraud

Please let us know if you know anyone attempting to obtain fraudulent improvement grants from us. Or if anyone attempts to obtain care grants.

Other fraud

Advise us of any concerns you have where you suspect fraud has been committed against the council.

How to report council fraud

You can be assured you have the right to remain anonymous and that all the information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Benefit fraud

Please note that BCP Council no longer investigates benefit fraud - this is now the responsibility of the Department of Work and Pensions.

If someone claims Housing Benefit and/or Social Security benefits where they have no right to entitlement they are committing benefit fraud.

Typical examples of benefit fraud are:

  • people, who work, but don't declare this when they submit their claim
  • people, who claim as a single person, but actually live with a partner
  • people, who claim from an address, but do not live there
  • people who do not tell the Council the full amount of income, savings or capital they have when they claim benefit
  • people who for any reason do not have any right to claim Housing Benefit.

How to report benefit fraud

  • Online:
  • Telephone: call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440
    Your call is free and confidential you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm.
    If you have speech or hearing problems you can use:
     - text phone service on 0800 328 0512
     - Welsh speakers can call on 0800 678 3722
  • By post: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP