Skip to content
Coast Banner

Request a DoLS authorisation

Care homes and hospitals must apply to us for authorisation to deprive someone of their liberty.

A DoLS authorisation does not give the home or hospital any special powers, it only makes lawful the restrictions that are already/proposed to be in place; families should be consulted about any proposed changes in the person’s care plan.

You can use the online forms to request:

  • an urgent authorisation (including a standard authorisation)
  • a standard authorisation where you apply up to 28 days in advance of the person coming to you or you know you will be depriving them of their liberty from a certain date
  • a further standard authorisation also referred to as a renewal (if you already have an authorisation in place and it’s due to expire).

When submitting your application, remember to include:

  • as much detail in your referrals as possible - this will help us triage their priority and may avoid a follow-up phone call
  • the person’s permanent address and demographic information
  • the date they came to you.

Be sure to update us with any changes, by email if possible to

How we deal with your DoLS authorisation application

When we receive an application, we send out two independent assessors, one being a specially trained doctor and the other a specially trained ‘best interests assessor’. They will talk to the person and their family or friends to get their views and consider whether the arrangements are necessary.

If a person has a lasting power of attorney for health and welfare or a personal welfare deputy, they can only be deprived of their liberty under the DoLS if they are in agreement with the proposed care and treatment. If the person objects to the arrangements or proposed arrangements, they still have the same right to appeal as someone without an attorney or deputy.

If someone objects to a proposed move into care, assessments must happen before the move to ensure the person’s human rights are upheld and that the move is lawful.

If authorisation is given, a representative is appointed to help the person exercise their rights.

Contact us about DoLS