Skip to content
Coast Banner

Third party top-ups for preferred accommodation

If you’re eligible for funding and you prefer a more expensive care home (preferred accommodation) which charges fees that are above your personal budget, this can be arranged, provided that another person is willing to meet the difference between the amount specified in your personal budget and your preferred care home’s fees.

This is known as a top-up or third party payment.

Who can pay top-ups

Usually, it’s a third party that pays the top-up fees. This could be a friend, a relative or a charitable organisation.

Anyone who agrees to pay a third party top up has to satisfy us that they can afford it. They have to sign a declaration to confirm they can pay the top up and that they understand the commitment involved.

We would always recommend that you obtain independent financial advice if you are considering paying a third party top up.

How the third party payment is made

The payment is made directly to the residential home, who agree directly with the third party as to when and how the payments will be made.

What happens if the arrangement is not maintained

If the third party is unable to continue to pay, the client may have to move to another care home if the current home will not negotiate a reduced fee.

The third party should contact us immediately if they’re unable to continue with the payments, so that we can discuss what alternative arrangements are possible.

Available help if the resident has to move

The allocated worker will assess or review the client’s needs. This involves obtaining information and advice from other professionals to find an alternative care home that can meet the resident’s needs at our standard rates. All family members and carers will be involved in this process.