Skip to content
Coast Banner

Paying for your own care in a care home

The amount you pay differs from person to person and depends on your financial circumstances. We work out the amount we need you to pay towards care home costs by completing a financial assessment.

Once you’ve been assessed as being eligible for care and support, your allocated worker will calculate the cost of that care which is known as your personal budget. 

Your care assessment is separate to your financial assessment. 

How much you’ll have to pay 

If you have £23,250 or more in property and savings, you have to pay the full cost of the care home fees for accommodation, board and personal care. However, we may be able to help you with this if you are eligible for a deferred payment agreement.   

If you have less than £23,250 in capital and savings and you do not have sufficient income to pay the full costs we can help you apply for help with your care home fees by completing a financial assessment with you. This will look at your income and capital. We'll then calculate how much you have to pay and how much we’ll pay towards the fees.  

By income we mean any benefits that you’re entitled to receive, or any income from other sources. This could be any private or occupational pensions or annuity payments. 

Capital includes all monies invested in bank or building society accounts, ISAs, shares or any other financial products. In some circumstances, property may be considered. 


We have contracts with many residential homes that can meet individual needs. The agreed rates comprise of your contribution plus our contribution. 

Mr S has been assessed as requiring residential care. The home that can provide for all his needs charges £488 per week. 

A financial assessment is completed which shows that Mr. S can afford to pay £148 per week from his income towards these fees. We’ll therefore pay £340 per week towards his care (£488 - £148 = £340). 

How you pay your contribution 

You can either pay your contribution to the care home, or to us. If you pay the care home directly, you will need to arrange with them the frequency of payments and payment method - for example, monthly by Direct Debit.

If you pay us, we will send you an invoice every 4 weeks.

What happens where the fees are above the standard fees 

If you choose a home where the fees are above these rates and there are residential vacancies that could meet your needs available within our rates, a third party top-up for preferred accommodation may be appropriate. 

What happens to my benefits if I go into residential care 

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will continue paying you your benefits if you go into residential care. Some benefits that you received while living in your own home may change when you go into residential care. Make sure you let the DWP know immediately when you move into residential care.

Money available for you to spend

The Department of Health guidance states you must be left with a personal expense allowance. This amount is reviewed annually and is currently £24.90 per week. This can be spent on things such as your toiletries, papers, magazines or hairdressing.  

What happens if you go into hospital or stay with family

Even if you are not at the home, we need to continue paying contributions so that your room is available to you on your return.

After your stay in hospital, we will reassess your care needs to check that your residential home can continue to meet them.

It may be necessary to give notice to the home that you will not be returning there. The home will still need to be paid until the notice period ends. You’ll be assisted by your allocated worker with this notice period and in finding alternative residential or nursing care.