Skip to content
Coast Banner

Help paying for your care in a care home

How we work out your fees

We can contribute to your care costs if you have less than £23,250 in savings and we agree that staying in a care home is the best way of meeting your needs.

We work out the amount we need you to pay towards care home costs by completing of a financial assessment.

We pay up to our standard rates for the first 12 weeks. If your accommodation costs more than our standard rate, the extra money will have to be made up by a third party.

If you’re living in a care home that charges more than we pay and your capital is likely to fall below £23,250, contact us as soon as your capital reaches £30,000.

If you do not wish to have a financial assessment, or have capital more than £23,250, we’ll require you to pay the full cost of your care and support. If you have a property and you want to delay selling it, you may qualify for our deferred payment scheme.


If you’re struggling with money, you may be entitled to claim benefits. Use a benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get and how to claim.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will continue paying you your benefits if you go into residential care. Some benefits that you received while living in your own home may change when you go into residential care. Make sure you let the DWP know immediately when you move into residential care.

State Pension and Pension Credit

If you are receiving your state pension you could be entitled to pension credit.