Skip to content
Coast Banner

Personal assistants

Whether you pay for your own support or have a personal budget from the council, employing your own personal assistant can give you more choice and control over the service you receive.

A personal assistant (PA) can carry out a wide range of tasks to help you to stay independent. They offer flexible support based on your individual needs. Some of the things they can help you with include:

  • personal care
  • tasks at home
  • accessing community and social opportunities
  • developing independent living skills.

You can pay for a PA from your own money or with your Direct Payment if you receive one from the council.

Being an employer

You may find it useful to speak to someone who is already employing a PA.

Skills for care has information and advice about employing your own PA including your responsibilities and legal obligations as an employer.

Finding a personal assistant

You can ask your social worker to make a referral to one of the agencies listed below on your behalf. If you pay for your own care and you would like help to employ a PA, you may contact these agencies directly.

You can contact our Personal Budgets Team: