Skip to content
Coast Banner

Paying for care in a care home

You may have to pay towards any care and support that you need. We work out how much you pay by completing a financial assessment.

How much you pay will differ from person to person and depends on your financial circumstances. If you need care from a registered nurse, the NHS should pay for this.  

Once you’ve been assessed as being eligible for care and support, your allocated worker will work out the cost of that care, which is known as your personal budget. Your care assessment is separate to your financial assessment.  

Who can get help with care costs  

We may be able to contribute towards your care costs if you have less than £23,250 in savings and we agree that staying in a care home is the best way of meeting your needs.

If your accommodation costs more than we have agreed to pay, the extra money could be made up by a third party.

We pay up to our standard rates for the first 12 weeks. If your accommodation costs more than our standard rate the extra money will have to be made up by a third party

If you’re living in a care home that charges more than we might pay and your capital is likely to fall below £23,250, you should contact us as soon as possible so we can discuss your options.

If you do not wish to have a financial assessment or have capital in excess of £23,250, you’ll have to pay the full cost of your care and support. If you have a property and you want to delay selling it, you may qualify for our deferred payment scheme.