Skip to content
Coast Banner

Extra care housing

What is Extra Care Housing?

Extra Care Housing offers a way of supporting adults to live independently for as long as possible. Some of the schemes operate different age ranges or eligibility criteria.

It gives the security and privacy of your own home, with a range of additional facilities on the premises, together with 24-hour care services should you need them.

Each Extra Care Housing scheme has a manager who works with care staff based on site in order to support your needs.

More informaton can be found in our extra care housing brochure.

Benefits of Extra Care Housing

Benefits of Extra care housing include:

  • you live in your own home, not in a residential or nursing home
  • you have the security of a home for life, and control who visits your home
  • couples and friends can stay together
  • care and well-being support as well as packages of home care are available to help you keep your independence
  • you control your finances
  • a call monitoring system is in place to ensure residents’ safety.

Extra care housing accommodation in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole

As well as privately-managed Extra Care Homes, there are 9 schemes across Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole:

  • Brushett House, Draper Road:
    For people aged 18 and over
  • Craigleith, Derby Road For people aged 55 and over
  • Kingsley House, Coronation Avenue:
    For people aged 55 and over
  • Shaftesbury Court, Wimborne Road:
    For people with a physical or sensory disability
  • Hibberd Court, Hibberd Way:
    For people aged 55 and over
  • Bure House, Jumpers Road:
    For people aged 55 and over
  • Delphis Court, Avenel Way:
    For people aged 18 and over
  • Belmont Court off Glen Road, Parkstone:
    For people aged 55 and over
  • Trinidad Extra Care Village, Rossmore Road:
    For people aged 18 and over

Eligibility for our schemes

You can apply to live in extra care housing if you’re:

  • meeting the age criteria for specific extra care housing accommodation (listed above)
  • on our Housing Register, vacancies are advertised on BCP Home Choice website
  • physically or mentally frail or have a long-term condition
  • living in housing that cannot be adapted to meet your needs
  • already living in a care home, or are thinking of moving to one, and would prefer to live independently with support
  • unable to pay for a private scheme.

A panel of our representatives and the care and well-being providers consider applicants who want to be offered a property within these schemes.

Charges and costs involved

Charges and costs will include:

  • rent
  • extra care background support charge for the service provided by the on site care provider, for example, unplanned care or assistance or welfare checks
  • housing service charges associated with the maintenance of your home
  • charges associated with any direct care you may need.

How to apply or to find out more

Contact the Adult Social Care Contact Centre. An assessment will be arranged if required. Your social care worker can apply on your behalf and let you know if you have been successful. You can also visit a scheme before you apply.

To find out more, get in touch with our Adult Social Care Contact Centre.

There are no results that match your criteria.