Skip to content
Coast Banner

Dorset Advocacy

About Dorset advocacy

Dorset advocacy provide independent advocates to help to ensure that your rights are upheld and that your views, wishes and needs are heard, respected and acted upon.

Care Act 2014 advocacy

If you have substantial difficulty in participating and have no-one who is appropriate to help you, Dorset Advocacy can support you with: 

  • local authority care needs and carer assessments
  • care and support planning
  • care reviews
  • safeguarding.

Please note that only social care workers can request an advocate for you and you are not able to refer yourself to this service.

Issues-based advocacy

Dorset Advocacy can support you if you need help with a commissioned service you are receiving from us. They are unable to help with benefits or housing and cannot give legal advice.

You can refer yourself to this service.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

Only medical or social care professionals (e.g. doctors, social workers) can refer you to this service.

You are eligible for an IMCA if you fulfil all of the following: 

  • you are over the age of 16
  • you are facing a decision about serious medical treatment, a change of accommodation, or are involved in a safeguarding enquiry
  • you are assessed as not having capacity to make the decision
  • you do not have anyone to help you such as family or a friend.

Carers Advocacy

If you are an unpaid carer an advocate can help you with:

  • care assessments and support planning
  • getting services and support for yourself or the person you care for
  • meetings with Adult Social Care to assess your needs or the needs of the person you care for
  • helping you to raise problems you are having.

You can refer yourself to this service.

Continuing Health Care (CHC) advocacy

Help with applying for CHC or with appeals.

In many cases, the person needing the CHC funding will be too unwell to make a referral, so their family, carers or professionals can do it on their behalf. However, if you are well enough you can refer yourself to this service.

There is no charge to you for advocacy services from Dorset Advocacy.  The service is funded by local authorities for anyone who is eligible.

Contact Dorset advocacy

You can contact Dorset advocacy by: